8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2011 3:18 PM by RKadu

ERP 3.0 drama unfolds - invades households in 2025

James Apprentice

ERP 3.0: From corporates, ERP moves to households and becomes indespensable. Yes, that's what, year 2025 has in store for us. The drama unfolds at http://lnkd.in/tmVAgR.

The bigger questions here is: will it be affordable for us? The author stresses that it will take the route of clouds where you will have to just open an account with providers to draw the functionalities you want for a monthly fees just like we draw power today.

Thoughts from group??

• Re: ERP 3.0 drama unfolds - invades households in 2025
          KevinDennis Novice

James,

Makes perfect sense that technology will continue to expand and become more integrated in everything we do.  I continue to read more about "cloud computing" as it appears to be the  mainstream of the next 5 years if it ever takes hold. The challenge I see are the complexities involved with successfully running any ERP system.  Globally, I think that cloud computing will be at the forefront of enabling more electronic communication directly with all those invovled in the supply chain so that the execution of mfg orders all the way thru to the end users or replenishment to the DC's who will then move the product is going to be the primary technology. Almost a blending of systems to minimize or eliminate the entire process of scheduling evolving into a virtual kan ban system from one end to the other.

Kevin

James Apprentice

Kevin - Thanks for response. I agree and disagree with you here. Yes, ERP is a pretty complex software to be used on cloud becuase of not only data security issues but also due to the complex transactions between users/departments/organizations but it is only a matter of time when large players like Oracle and SAP come up with a usable solution. They have tasted blood and are eager to outsmart each other in this race. We may see some half baked solutions to start with which ultimately evolve in next 3-4 years before starting to enter our homes.

My concern was more from $$ perpective - will it be affordable for common households once ERP is available for them to use? Any thoughts here?

KevinDennis Novice

James,

If there is a lot of $ to be made then you will see a lot more players outside the industry jump into this if ERP becomes that lucrative in the next 10 years combined with cloud computing.  The part I am perplexed by in your response is with regards to the "household" use that you see projected out in the future.  Where is the application for common household use? By the time 2025 rolls around technology will have advanced to the point that everything will be done using our cell phones or whatever device has taken its place.  Please elaborate for me on that part of your response, thanks.

Kevin

Puneesh Novice

I completely agree with James here. Cloud computing will ensure that at homes people have a subscription model wherein they can get all good functionalities of ERPs for their daily, weekly, monthly and yearly plans

RKadu Apprentice

I thnk it may happen earlier than

2025 may be by 2020.

Because as we moved from Pop & Mom shop to Superstore to leverage economy of scales, i think Communities will get integrated through "Cloud" and achieve Supply Needs by collaborating with their Demands there by collective Bargaining to bring down Cost.

That will also mean building lot of rules which today individual analyzes and takes.

So i tink it will go to "iSupply Chain" artifical intelligence build in supply chain and it think it will be free as Revenue model will be in Advertisements

Thanks My thoughts

Ravi Kadu