8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2010 9:09 AM by viswanat

AMR Supply Chain Top 25--The Results!

If you weren't in Scottsdale last week for the AMR Research Supply Chain Executive Conference, you don't want to miss this complimentary webcast:

And even if you were there, it's compelling enough to watch again! This webcast, sponsored by GXS and ModusLink, is moderated by Professor Martin Christopher and led by Kevin O'Marah, who discusses the Top 25 results as well as how the supply chain best practices and capabilities exhibited by the honorees relate to financial performance. Kinaxis was honored to be the presenting sponsor of the Top 25 Awards dinner.

What do you think of the results?

Special thanks to Jonathan Bennett of SCM World for sharing the link.

• Re: AMR Supply Chain Top 25--The Results!
          bob.ferrari Apprentice

I was somewhat surprised at the common themes noted among the Top 25, particularly that many of these same companies have been practicing more active strategies related to vertical integration of supply chain vs, pure outsourcing.  In my mind, that is an acknowledgement of overcoming increased supply chain risks associated with outsourcing.

It must commend AMR for finally acknowledging that the Top 25 voting is too skewed toward a U.S. audience, and that more voting representation from Europe and Asia-Pacific might have changed some of the designations.  Perhaps one day we will finally see more Asian based companies besides Samsung.

Viewers should also take note of the change in the rating criteria this year.

Bob Ferrari

gnickturner Novice

As a Brit working in the USA I agree about the North American bias in the results. AMR are right to attempt to recruit more voters from outside the USA and not to blame the peers who are voting - as they will, of course, vote according to their experience which is North American. That said we should also remember that most of the companies are global brands. European and Asian voters will also know P&G, Apple etc so we should still expect the see a large American presence in the list in future.

I am pleased to see Tesco there. AMR reports on their US Brand "Fresh and Easy" indicate that for some categories of ready meals Tesco could not find a US partner able to meet their requirements for co-location and service. As a result a UK and Spanish company got their break in the USA with brand new plants next door to the Tesco DC in CA.

John Sicard Apprentice

To add to Bob's comments - Jim Rowan from RIM also suggested during a panel discussion that many larger enterprises can learn from the mid-market (e.g. NCR) and yet they are disqualified at the outset. He further added that no contract manufacturers make the list, despite working with the amalgamation of 10's to 100's of complex supply chains driven by their many brand owner customers. It will be interesting to see how AMR will be influenced for next year's Top 25.

gnickturner Novice

So it looks like those European suppliers who co-located with Tesco didn't do very well - as a result of Fresh and Easy's slower than expected expansion in the USA:

"Tesco takes over Fresh & Easy suppliers:"

lcecere Apprentice

Hi guys

Yes, there are a number of issues play here.

I don't think that you can put all supply chains in a table and shake them up and declare a winner.

Instead, I think that a better way is to compare like value chains.

What do you think?

viswanat Novice

I admit that I have not gone through the full document and the methodology.

I dont know if there is any penalty for public events of supply chain disruptions that

may occur. If not , then it may make sense to add such a penalty.

For instance for Apple (#1) and Best Buy (#24) - they have handled the iphone 4 launch

very badly from a supply chain perspective (among a lot other areas)

a)  Total supply-demand mismatch - white iphone, display material shortage etc

b)  Lack of inventory visibility - when I pre-ordered my phone at Best Buy they did not

have any data on inventory to tell me whether I will receive the phone on launch date or not.

Later they call me on the 23rd and tell me that I will not get it on the 24th and that they dont

know when they will get it.

c)  Retailer-supplier collaboration - Radio Shack, Best Buy and Wal Mart do not seem to have any

clue of their existing inventory, future inventory across the board further confusing customers.