7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 9:07 AM by RDCushing

A New ERP

leandoug Newbie

With over 10,000 transaction per day, including manufacturing and assembling, a new leaner ERP would generally be a welcome change. This one was not the case, at least not in the beginning.

Approximately one year ago we changed our resource planning software to a new and improved ERP system. All table data was suppose to work seamlessly with the new software. Testing environments were created to make sure of this. However, during implementation it was different. Production orders did not complete accordingly, packslips did not generate, and purchase and sales schedules did not communicate. It was a complete mess. It was like going back in time before electronic data exchanges and doing manual work. And with our volume, this was not going to work. Talk about some very long hours!

It took about six months to get back to normal, and it turns out the new software does not make our jobs easier.. I am still thanking the developers and software tester for their proper due diligence!!

• Re: A New ERP
          cprocha Newbie

thank you for your insight, can you please tell which ERP system you implemented? It will help in evaluating systems.

janhusdal Apprentice

Perhaps off-topic, but your posting brings to mind Kinaxis new big marketing campaign: Suitemates. Have you seen it? Is that how ERP really is?

RDCushing Master

I have seen the first in the series and it is hilarious.  Unfortunately, there is more than a grain of truth at the core of all the humor being bandied about the marketplace regarding "Big ERP" these days.

gnickturner Novice

Do you think it was a poor choice of ERP application or a poor implementation of the right ERP App?

RDCushing Master

Don't forget that good technology well implemented that changes the WRONG things -- because no one determined WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE (and what should NOT change) properly in advance -- can produce negative results.  Most traditional ERPs - Everything Replacement Projects - change EVERYTHING when usually changing fewer than a handful of things is really what it takes to help a business start making more money tomorrow than they are making today.

That's why I've introduced "the New ERP - Extended Readiness for Profit." Read the series (beginning in October 2009) at http://www.GeeWhiz2ROI.com.

gnickturner Novice

I agree that a lot of businesses could get more from their existing systems rather than replacing them. I have seen a few who were looking for new supply chain software and it became apparent to me that they actually needed a change in attitude and approach or even management first!

RDCushing Master

Indeed you are correct! Interestingly, if the organization's leadership is only a little bit open to new ideas, applying the Thinking Processes is frequently enough to get them to see the light and make the change -- without a wholesale renovation of management personnel.