Technology is a hot topic. Artificial intelligence. Autonomous vehicles. 3D printers and additive manufacturing. Business intelligence. We can't stop talking about it. Many times, these topics are somewhat like fads. Even though there are benefits, we can get carried away and not even pay attention to whether we are gaining value.
Thus, we should take a step back and ask a few questions:
1. Do we need the technology or is it just cool?
2. What value does the technology provide? Does it yield a return on investment? What is that return on investment?
3. What is most valued by our customers? Time? Price? Features? Services? Which technology best aligns with their needs?
4. Is the technology supporting the business goals or are the —business goals supporting the technology? Which is your lead for your conversations?
5. Are you caught up in bells and whistles or focused on value?
6. Are you leading with tech or with the customer experience?
7. What do your customers expect? Can you leverage automation for a win-win?