I just wrote a post on the Arena Blog about big picture questions to ask when launching a new product.
Answering these questions (what is the overall expected revenue, are there additional headcount needs, etc) is often the job of C-level and VP folks - but these aren't the only contributors to a successful new product launch.
Are there special considerations for NPI that Operations should own? Here are my suggestions, what should be added to this list?
Has Operations considered . . .
- · How to kick off/manage the various production phases (proto, pilot, production)
- · The supply Chain strategy—is it consigned, turnkey, hybrid or ”appliance” manufacturing?
- · CM selection—should your CMs operate locally, offshore or should you go with an ODM?
- · Will you build to order or build to forecast?
- · Time that needs to be added for the quality assurance process
- · Your production capacity requirements, plans for expansion
- · The Finished Goods (FGI) Warehouse/Distribution plan
- · Repair center process and costs
- · How engineering and operations can contribute to cost reduction?