6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2012 9:12 AM by john lamb RSS

Looking for examples of Alert Post Processing

Steve Strobl Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I'm a RR super user and have been working with the tool for about 4 years. I'm looking for a way to call a program upon completion of an alert. However, I can't seem to get the Alert Post Processing to work.

Any examples?

• Re: Looking for examples of Alert Post Processing
    Leo Paoletti Expert

Steve,

The User Help for RapidResponse 9.5 includes an example:

http://help.kinaxis.com/95/42/user/content/rr_user/alerts/running_commands_with_an.htm

This is also available in the User Help PDF.

Does this help?

Leo Paoletti

Manager, User Education

Kinaxis

Dan Bertrand Master

Hey Steve,

I feel the documentation has never been very helpful to configure this.  We figured out how to do this at Flextronics via "trial & error".

My understanding is that this should be configured by an administrator since everything that you refer to in the "Post Processing" specification must be accessible to the RapidResponse AlertService process.  At least in our configuration, this process is owned by a local service account that has no access to anything outside of the Data Server.  That is, it can't see anything on your workstation, any other Users workstation or even a network drive.  If it's not on the Data Server then it does not exist for the Alert Service Task and will fail.  Note that even file system permissions can cause you nightmares since, again, this is a local system account that may not be granted access to write to the output folder you've specified.  I don't feel that this is a failure in the Kinaxis design but simply the burden of more secure modern networks.

We use this feature heavily at Flextronics but only to transfer the export file generated by the AlertService Task from the Data Server back to a Site's ERP, Site's File Server (allow Users to access), Customer or Supplier FTP sites.

Here's how we've configured this:

1. Create a file system alias that points to the folder for our output file (we support almost 40 Sites so follow the format "Data{SiteID}" to create an output folder for each Site) and a single file system alias called "Scripts" to allow access to the scripts we're going to reference.
      • FileSystem_Alias.JPG
    2. Configure the AlertService Task to write the output to a file system folder on the Data Server via the "Site" file system alias (output folder) created in the previous step.  Note that the Site in this case is "465".
      • Alert_Output.JPG
    3. Add the "Post Processing" command via button "Advanced".  Note that the "file system alias" is in square brackets ("[Scripts]"), the executable being called is named "FileTransfer.exe" and the remainder of the line is parameters passed to our executable.
      • Alert_Advanced.JPG

Good luck to you since this has been a wonderful feature for us since 2002.  We couldn't function without it since e-mail is a horrible delivery mechanism.  I haven't checked the knowledgebase but Kinaxis Support may already offer a better presentation & perspective than I.  Hopefully, a future version will improve the presentation of this so that configuration will be more intuitive.

Enjoy,

Dan

Ryan Christie Apprentice

Hi Steve,

Our approach was very similar but dumbed down a step so a non-techy like me understood it!

Step 1.  We created a .bat file to do ... whatever it is we needed to do.  This file along with any vb script/.txt etc that the bat called out were all kept in our 'downloads' folder, same as the .tab file that resulted from the alert run:

3-9-2011 7-54-27 AM.png

3-9-2011 8-07-38 AM.png

Step 2.  In alert properties, advanced function, just call out the .bat file for post processing:

3-9-2011 7-58-06 AM.png

again .. ultimately no different from the previous example, maybe just one step simpler from a power user poin-of-view rather than system admin!

Ryan

john lamb Novice

This is very interesting and we are looking to do something similar.

My only concern here is security, will all users who have access to modify alerts have the access to these folders or have you been able to setup some kind of security here ?

Ryan Christie Apprentice

There are a couple of steps we have taken and one we intend to take:

1.  We have closed down the downloads folder to general end-users (no longer a shared folder).

2.  To the more techy end-users we allow them exceptional access to the downloads folder to create their bat files etc..  VERY limited, I'd say we have maybe 5 people/applications that are allowed in.

3.  Our technical admin created a vb job that every 15minutes copies all .tab and .xls files from downloads to a shared public folder

4.  We do have a couple of critical production jobs (ex. closed loop to our erp) that rely on the downloads folder, our intent is to create a seperate completely sealed off downloads location just for those jobs so there is absolutely no exposure to anyone other than the technical and data admin.

Hope this was useful.

Ryan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points